A perfect mix of broccoli, cheese, and delicious stuffing, this cheesy broccoli stuffing casserole is the ultimate comfort food. A great side dish the whole family will enjoy.
Cheesy broccoli stuffing casserole has all the classic flavors you are looking for in a casserole. Perfectly cooked vegetables, smooth and creamy sauce, all held together by melted cheese, and topped with a crunchy topping.
Is there anything better? It really is a perfect side dish.
Part of what makes it so good is that the cheese cooks between all the delicious broccoli and stuffing casserole. Every bite is cheesy and balanced with textures and flavors.
I really cannot say enough good things about this broccoli stuffing casserole with cheese.
With 9 basic ingredients and 10 minutes to mix everything together, you can have an easy dinner with 45 minutes of hands-off get things done time before you sit down to eat.
What ingredients are in Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
- Frozen Broccoli Florets: you can use fresh broccoli, but you have to wash, chop, and cook it, and frozen is so much faster!
- Eggs: this binds the ingredients together so you get a casserole and not a mess
- Boxed Stuffing Mix: this is an easy way to get flavor and crunch on top of the cheesy broccoli stuffing bake
- Melted Butter: this mixes with the stuffing mix
- Mayonnaise: this is the dressing that coats the broccoli
- Sour Cream: this adds flavor and creaminess to the broccoli stuffing bake
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: you can use cream of chicken soup or any of your favorite “cream of” soups, but they all have a slightly different flavor
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: this is the best cheese for baking because the sharp flavors hold up to the creamy dressing and high baking temperatures
- Minced Yellow Onion: I love the flavor a little bit of onion adds to the entire dish without changing the textures
How do I make Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
- Cook broccoli in the microwave, following package directions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, mayonnaise, soup, cheese and onion. Mix well.
- Add broccoli and mix well.
- Spray a 9 inch square casserole dish, and spread broccoli mixture into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine stuffing mix and melted butter. Mix well.
- Spread stuffing mix on top of the casserole.
- Bake until the topping is golden.
- Let sit 20 minutes before serving.
Can I make Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole ahead of time?
Yes you can make cheesy stuffing casserole ahead of time! You can either assemble it and put it in the fridge or freezer until you are ready to bake and serve. Or you can cook it, then let it cool before placing in the fridge to warm until heated through another day.
How do I reheat Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
I like to reheat my broccoli cheese stuffing casserole covered in the oven until it is heated through. You can also use a toaster oven or bring this camping as an easy casserole there.
But you can also reheat individual servings in the microwave; just know that microwave heating will leave you with soggy stuffing while oven cooking will give your stuffing topping a crunch.
What are some tips for making the perfect Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
- Mix everything in a separate bowl. Even though all the ingredients get mixed together, you don’t want to mix them in your casserole dish because it can stick to the bottom of your serving dish.
- Steam cook your broccoli first. Whether you are using fresh or frozen broccoli, you need to steam cook it until a fork can gently poke it. You don’t want mushy broccoli, but you want it soft in your cheesy stuffing casserole.
- After cooking, let it sit for 20 minutes before serving. If you cut into your broccoli cheese casserole right away, you will have a runny dish. And the best part of this dish is when everything sticks together with a deliciously crunchy stove top stuffing layer on top. Even though it is hard, let it sit before eating.
What can I serve with Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
Cheesy broccoli casserole with stuffing is one of those easy recipes that can go with almost any of your favorite recipes. Serve it next to grilled chicken breasts, your favorite barbecue meats, a hearty soup or stew, and it even fits perfectly on the table at your holiday meal.
For busy weeknights, serve this easy broccoli stuffing casserole with a store bought rotisserie chicken. You can even make this a main dish recipe by adding 1 cup cooked rice and 1 cup extra veggies like mushrooms for a tasty meal the entire family will love.
Can I substitute the broccoli with other vegetables?
Yes you can substitute the broccoli with other vegetables in this cheesy broccoli stuffing casserole! Try using green beans or cauliflower or any of your favorite veggie mixes. You can even add mushrooms
Is Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole freezer friendly?
Yes this broccoli stuffing casserole is freezer friendly. It is a great recipe for your freezer. I like to freeze it before cooking for best results.
Just put it in a freezer safe airtight container and store; pull it out 24 hours before eating so it can thaw overnight in the fridge.
What can I use instead of stuffing mix in Cheesy Broccoli Stuffing Casserole?
Instead of using a stuffing mix to make cheesy stuffing casserole with broccoli, you can use crushed ritz crackers to give you a crunch topping. You can make your own chicken stuffing mix by using dried bread cubes and your favorite seasonings (try using this leftover cornbread!). You can also use chopped nuts to give you a nutty crunch if you want.
Easy Side Dishes You’ll Also Love…
- Pumpkin Soup with Canned Pumpkin
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crust
- Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Sauteed Zucchini and Peppers
- 2 Ingredient Biscuits with Self Rising Flour
- Bacon Carrots
- Cranberry Gelatin Salad
- Authentic Zuppa Toscana Recipe
- Bacon Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Icebox Rolls
- Cold Greek Pasta Salad
- Roquefort Pear Salad
- Farro Salad with Cranberries
- Roasted Winter Vegetables
- Homemade Sweet Cornbread
Whether you are making cheesy broccoli stuffing casserole recipe for the first time or looking for something you have eaten before, this is a perfect side dish that takes a regular meal and turns it into an easy festive weeknight dinner.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Cook broccoli in the microwave according to package directions.
- Drain broccoli and set aside.
- In a bowl combine eggs, butter, mayonnaise, soup, cheese and onion. Mix well.
- Add broccoli and mix well.
- Spray a 9 inch square casserole dish.
- Spread broccoli mix into a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl combine stuffing mix and ½ cup melted butter. Mix well.
- Spread stuffing mix on top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes until topping is golden.
- Let sit for 20 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 879Total Fat: 81gSaturated Fat: 40gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 241mgSodium: 1334mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g