This Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers recipe is the perfect way to show off those summer veggie harvests. Pull them from your garden or the farmer’s market, and have them ready to eat in just 10 minutes!
If you are looking for a delicious zucchini stir fry, this is it. Using only 7 ingredients, you will get a side dish that is a great addition to any meal.
I love the lemon juice at the end of this sauteed zucchini and bell peppers side dish; it gives you a burst of freshness that complements the fresh veggies natural flavors.
If you prefer your sautéed zucchini and bell peppers with a smoky flavor, cook them in bacon fat instead of olive oil and garnish with crumbled bacon pieces. You will love how easy it is to enhance those flavors.
But the best part of this dish is how healthy it is and how fast it comes together. Whether you need a light meal, fast prep time, or just a perfect side dish, this is one of those stir fry recipes you will come back to again and again.
Because everyone loves healthy zucchini and bell peppers. No matter how you serve them.
What ingredients are in stir fry zucchini and bell peppers?
- Olive Oil: the base you use to stir fry the veggies
- Green Onions: bring a hint of onion flavor to the dish
- Zucchini: gives a tender and crunchy texture to the stir fry
- Red Bell Pepper: adds a pop of color and sweetness to the mix
- Salt: brings out the overall taste in this quick stir fry
- Black Pepper: this helps your body take in the nutrients in the other ingredients of the dish
- Lemon Juice: gives a tangy citrus note to brighten up the flavors
Pro Tip: I like green zucchini, but if you prefer the color and flavor of yellow squash, you can use this in the recipe instead. Also if you have other vegetables you want to toss in, you could customize your full list of ingredients to whatever you love.
Try adding cherry tomatoes, corn kernels, garlic clove, and even sesame seeds if you love them.
How to Cook Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until the oil shimmers, then sauté green onions in a single layer briefly.
- Add bell peppers and zucchini, salt, and black pepper and sauté over medium-high heat until tender-crisp.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle lemon juice over the vegetables.
- Toss to coat and serve immediately.
- For a smoky twist, use bacon fat instead of olive oil.
- Make sure to cut the zucchini and bell peppers into even strips for consistent cooking.
Can I Add Protein to Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers?
Yes you can add protein to Zucchini and Bell Peppers! While this recipe is written as a vegetarian side dish, you can add your favorite protein by tossing in cooked chicken, shrimp, tofu, or beans to your zucchini stir-fry to make it a complete meal.
What to Serve with Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers:
I love serving Skillet Zucchini and Bell Peppers with steamed rice or quinoa and raw garden fresh snap peas on top. It also is a fantastic side to a main course like grilled meats, tender steak, or fish.
Pro Tip: If you have leftovers, this is a great way to give flavor and more vegetables to sandwiches, quesadillas, and omelettes!
Is Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers gluten free vegan?
Yes this zucchini and bell peppers side dish is a perfect gluten free and vegan dish. All of the ingredients are naturally gluten free and contain no animal byproducts.
Whether you need a bell pepper stir fry recipe for your friends who need to eat gluten free vegan or if you are just looking for a variety of options on your table, this is a great dish that comes together so quickly.
How to Store Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers:
If you have leftover stir fry zucchini and bell peppers, transfer the cooled stir fry into a sealed container. Then be sure to refrigerate it until you are ready to use it again.
How Long Does Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers Last?
Sautéed Zucchini and Bell Peppers will stay fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge. Be sure to keep it in an airtight container and in the fridge when you are not using it.
Can You Freeze Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers?
You can freeze skillet zucchini and bell peppers, but we do not recommend it. If you cook vegetables all the way and then freeze them, they will be mushy when thawed. It’s best to eat this fresh and use it in other dishes instead of freezing it.
Can Dogs Eat Stir Fry Zucchini and Bell Peppers?
While zucchini and bell peppers are safe for dogs, this Zucchini and Bell Peppers is not safe. The seasonings we add (salt, pepper, lemon juice) are not good. It’s better to feed your pup small pieces of raw vegetables instead of this cooked dish.
More Vegetable Side Dishes You’ll Love…
- Bacon Fried Carrots
- Bacon Cauliflower Broccoli Salad
- Cold Greek Pasta Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad Recipe
- Spiral Pasta Salad
- Sour Cream Potato Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Garlic Roasted Red Potatoes
- Asparagus Soup Recipe
- Roasted Vegetables in the Oven
- Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Greek Salad Recipe
- Easy Vegetable Risotto
Next time you need a fast side dish, try this stir fry zucchini and bell peppers. Whether you serve it next to grilled meat, over rice, or in lettuce cups, this simple side dish is so fast and easy, you will find yourself making it again and again.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh minced green onions
- 1 pound zucchini, cut in half, then each half cut lengthwise in half. Then cut into 1/4 inch strips. Lay strips down and cut in strips. You should have nice rectangular pieces.
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add green onions and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add in zucchini, bell peppers, salt and black pepper and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Vegetables should be tender crisp.
- Turn heat off and pour lemon juice over vegetables.
- Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Also great when cooked in bacon fat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 59Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g