This easy Mexican street corn salad recipe is a perfect side dish with simple ingredients that you can make any time of the year even if you do not have fresh corn!
If you have never eaten an esquites recipe, also known as Mexican corn salad, you are missing out.
It is loaded with flavors and is an easy recipe for taco night, barbeques, or any potluck.
This delicious mexican corn salad will make you feel like you have a small bowl of traditional street corn any time you make it.
The best part is, even if your local grocery stores are out of fresh corn on the cob, you can still get the flavors of corn from street vendors by using canned corn.
What is Mexican street corn salad recipe?
Mexican street corn salad recipe is a corn esquites. Which might make you wonder, what is esquite?
Esquites is a cup of roasted corn, mayo, cheese, lime juice, and seasonings. It is served as a snack or a simple side dish and is one of the most delicious recipes you can get from a food truck.
But with this mexican corn salad recipe, you can make it at home!
What ingredients are in Mexican street corn salad recipe?
- Canned Fire Roasted Corn: drain it and you have great flavored corn you can use all year long
- Jalapeño Pepper: make sure to seed and dice these so you get great flavor without the spice (so much better than only using bell peppers!)
- Mayonnaise: I think it tastes better when mixed with mayonnaise instead of sour cream, and it’s authentic esquite corn to use mayo
- Garlic: mince fresh garlic or you can use the pre-minced bottles or garlic paste
- Green Onions: I love the color the green onions add, and I prefer their taste to a red onion which can sometimes overpower the dish
- Fresh Cilantro: one of my favorite ways to chop cilantro is with my kitchen shears which helps it go so much quicker
- Fresh Lime Juice: if your lime is at room temperature you will be able to get more juice out of it than if it is cold
- Cotija Cheese: this is similar to a feta cheese and crumbly like a queso fresco but will give you more flavor than either cheese; if you cannot find it, use a Mexican melting cheese instead
- Chili Powder: this adds a little bit of spice and a nice smoky flavor to the dish
- Avocado: I love adding this to my esquite recipe because it gives nice creamy bites through the salad
Pro Tip: You can make this with whole ears of corn too. I like to make extra grilled corn so I can have this salad later.
At your next bbq, place the corn cob in a single layer on the grill and cook until charred. Then cut the kernels off the cob and you are ready to make this elote salad.
How to make mexican street corn salad recipe:
- Place drained fire roasted corn and jalapeno in a large skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until warm.
- Place corn mixture in a large bowl and add mayonnaise, garlic, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, cheese, chili powder, and avocado.
- Gently fold ingredients until mixed through.
- Serve warm or chill and serve cold. Enjoy!
Pro Tip: You can make this with regular canned sweet corn too. Just drain the corn, then add 2 tablespoons butter and corn kernels to a skillet and cook on high heat until the corn gets a char layer. Once it is charred, add the jalapeno and mix, cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.
Is mexican street corn salad recipe served hot or cold?
Mexican street corn salad recipe is served both hot and cold. I like to serve it hot the first time I make it, and then enjoy the leftovers cold afterwards.
Can you make Mexican street corn salad recipe ahead of time?
Yes you can make mexican street corn salad ahead of time! But if you are serving this more than 24 hours away, do not add the avocado until closer to serving time. The avocado cubes will turn brown if you let it sit longer than 24 hours.
When I make it the day before to serve at a party, I like to serve it cold and dice the avocado and mix it in right before I leave.
What to serve with Mexican street corn salad recipe:
- Tortilla Chips: this can be a fun corn dip using the chips to scoop it up
- Tacos: tacos are a perfect combination with this cold mexican corn salad
- Grilled Food: grilled chicken, veggies, even burgers and hot dogs are great to serve with this dish
- BBQ: this is a classic backyard BBQ dish and will add a nice variety of flavor to whatever else you are serving
How to make Mexican street corn salad recipe with canned corn:
Just follow the cold mexican corn salad as written to use canned corn. My recipe always uses canned corn because fresh is hard to find where I live.
You can use plain canned corn or fire roasted canned corn and still have a great dish.
How to store street corn salad recipe:
Store this easy mexican street corn salad in an airtight container in the fridge. Because it has mayonnaise, you do not want to leave it out more than 2 hours without chilling it.
Pro Tip: If you are bringing this dish to a summer even, freeze ice in the same shape as your serving dish or fill a slightly larger dish with ice cubes so the salad can stay cool sitting on a bed of ice through the event.
Can you freeze Mexican corn salad recipe?
No, I do not recommend freezing this corn esquites because of the mayonnaise that is mixed through the dish. The creamy sauce does not freeze and thaw very well.
It is better to make this corn salad mexican dish each time you want to eat it.
Easy Salad Recipes You’ll Also Love…
- Spiral Pasta Salad
- Glazed Fruit Salad
- Potato Salad with Sour Cream
- Chicken Avocado Tomato Salad
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon
- Blueberry Congealed Salad
- Lemon Jello Salad
- Old Fashioned Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Cold Butternut Squash Salad
- Blueberry Salad
- Summer Corn Salad
- Zucchini Corn Salad
- Lentil Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Balsamic Steak Salad
- Fluff Salad
Mexican street corn salad recipe is full of delicious ingredients smothered in a creamy dressing which makes it a perfect addition to any potluck, barbeque, or even an easy side dish for busy week nights.
- 2 (15.25 ounce) cans Fire Roasted Corn, drained
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons Cotija cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 avocado diced
- Place drained corn and diced jalapenos in a skillet and cook over high heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and place corn in a serving bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, garlic, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, cotija cheese, chili powder and avocado to corn.
- Gently mix/toss salad.
- Serve salad warm or chill for later and serve cold.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g