This banana bread recipe without baking soda is fast, easy, and uses only 6 ingredients to give you a delicious simple side.
Homemade banana bread. You either crave it, or you have found this page because you have bananas on your counter that have enough brown spots that no one in your home will eat them.
Congratulations on searching for a recipe instead of letting dreams die on the counter. You have found the perfect place to get a simple banana bread with great banana flavor in just over an hour.
If you never have brown ones, grab a couple extra bananas the next time you go to the store so you have a reminder to make this.
It is one of the most delicious recipes I have shared.
But honestly? I love breads of any kind, so of course I will tell you how tasty it is. But I really love simple breads.
This perfect banana bread is simple, delicious, and a great way to use bananas that have sat too long.
It uses six ingredients and cooks in an hour, so pull out your favorite large mixing bowl and let’s make this easy banana bread recipe without baking soda.
Can you make banana bread without baking soda?
Yes! That’s how I discovered this easy recipe. My favorite banana bread recipe used baking soda, but I was out.
But you can still make it! This is the best banana bread without baking soda recipe, and it is my go to way to make it now.
Even when I have baking soda, I reach for this recipe. That’s how good it is.
You just need to use self rising flour, and you will have delicious banana bread without baking soda.
Ingredients for banana bread recipe without baking soda:
- Salted Butter: use butter for a great flavor; be sure it is soft but not melted butter
- White Sugar: this will sweeten the bread and let the inside of the bread get just a little bit sticky compared to regular bread
- Mashed Bananas: this is why those overripe bananas are perfect for bread; you mash bananas up anyway
- Eggs: this binds everything together so your bread isn’t too crumbly
- Salt: this makes the bread taste better when you finally get to eat it
- Self Rising Flour: this is the secret to making a banana bread recipe without baking soda or baking powder
Pro TIp: You cannot use all-purpose flour, bread, whole wheat, or any other kind of flour. In order for this to work without baking soda, it must be self rising flour.
How to make banana bread without baking soda:
- Preheat oven and grease pan.
- Cream butter, sugar, and bananas in a large bowl.
- Add eggs and salt to the banana mixture, and mix well.
- Add flour, scraping and mixing until the dry ingredients just disappear.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake.
- Add aluminum foil halfway through baking, and cook until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes clean.
- Slice, slather with butter, and devour!
Pro Tip: You can make banana muffins with this recipe too! Just use muffin tins instead of a bread pan and make sure to do a shorter bake time. Just until a toothpick comes clean.
Is baking soda in self rising flour?
Yes. Self rising flour has flour, baking powder, and salt. Baking powder is a mix of baking soda and an acid.
The best way to remember that is that baking POW-der has a pow without the acid, but baking soda needs acidic ingredients to make it explode.
How to make self rising flour at home:
Combine 1 cup flour (125 grams) with 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (6 grams) and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (1 gram). That is the same as 1 cup of self rising flour.
Pro Tip: It is really important to measure carefully when making your own self rising flour. Spoon and level your flour so it is exact.
If you are worried about your measuring skills (or you are too lazy to do it carefully), then use a kitchen scale. It will give you the exact amounts you need!
How to store banana bread recipe without baking soda:
Store in an airtight container on the counter. If you prefer cold bread, you can store it in the fridge, but it will dry out faster so be sure to eat it within a day.
How long does banana bread recipe without baking soda last?
It can last 3 days before the texture changes. While it can be eaten about 5 days after cooking, it will either be dry and crumbly or even moldy if you live in an area with high humidity.
If there’s a problem with too much bread, drop some on a neighbors door. They will love it.
Is banana bread recipe without baking soda healthy?
Bananas are really healthy. So are eggs. Since this bread has banana and eggs in it, it is also healthy.
But if you sprinkle the whole loaf with powdered sugar and call it banana cake, it is no longer healthy. 🙂
Note: Some lifestyles may require portion control to keep this banana bread recipe without baking soda in their balanced diet.
Can dogs eat banana bread recipe without baking soda?
Banana bread in small amounts will not hurt your dog. If they lick crumbs off the floor or steal a small piece, it should be fine.
But banana bread has added sugars which isn’t good for your dog and some dogs do not digest flour very well.
It’s better to give your dog a plain banana as a small treat and save the bread for your human friends.
Is banana bread recipe without baking soda a quick bread?
Yes! Quick breads are bread that do not require yeast to make it rise. Usually yeast breads need a rising time whether they are using store bought yeast or sourdough.
Quick bread recipes do not need a rising time; instead they use a leavening agent like baking soda or baking powder to keep the bread light and not heavy.
Can you freeze banana bread recipe without baking soda?
Yes! Once you have baked and cooled the bread, let it cool to room temperature. Then wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe bag or container.
It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. To eat from the freezer, let it thaw on the counter overnight.
More Bread Side Dishes You’ll Love…
- Old Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits
- Sweet Potato Dinner Roll
- Biscuit Bread
- Braided Bread
- Basil Bread
- Garlic Bread Knots
- Red Lobster Biscuits with Bisquick
- Butter Swim Biscuits
- Homemade Sweet Cornbread
- Easy Focaccia Bread
- French Loaf Recipe
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Green Tomato Bread
- Sandwich Rolls Recipe
This is the best banana bread recipe without baking soda; whether you don’t have baking soda or are just looking for something new, this is a great recipe for you!
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- Prepare a 9" loaf pan with parchment paper, non-stick foil or cooking spray.
- Add butter, sugar and bananas into a bowl and mix well.
- Add eggs, and salt and mix well.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Scrape sides of bowl and mix again
- Pour banana bread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Gently place a piece of foil over the bread and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of loaf comes out clean. (foil is used to prevent the top from getting too dark)
- Let cool then slice and serve with butter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 548mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g