Banana Cornbread is the perfect blend of sweet and savory flavor that gives you an unforgettable cornbread. In this blog post, we’ll dive into what makes Cornbread with bananas a wonderful addition to any home cooks recipe box!
This banana cornbread recipe will give you a perfect bread with great flavor. It only uses 3 simple ingredients, so if it is your first time making bread, you will succeed.
Why do I use a box mix to make this banana jiffy cornbread? Because it makes it so easy. This is truly a simple side dish.
Using a box mix helps cut the time you need so you don’t need to combine flour or dry ingredients at all. You just add the banana and milk. It really is an easy cornbread recipe.
It is also a corn bread recipe with bananas which means you can use that bunch of bananas sitting on your counter. You use them, and you get great banana flavor with a dish everyone loves.
If you need an easy banana bread recipe with amazing flavor that you can use as a side dish, breakfast, snack, or even dessert, this is one of my favorite recipes to make.
What is Banana Cornbread?
Banana Cornbread is in the quick breads family. Which means it doesn’t need to rise or use yeast. It is a delicious fusion of traditional cornbread with the added sweetness and moisture of ripe bananas.
It’s a twist on a classic that gives you a perfect balance between the earthy flavors of corn and the tropical notes of bananas. It’s a sweet cornbread banana bread delight.
What Ingredients are in Banana Cornbread?
- Jiffy Cornbread Mix: This forms the base of the cornbread and provides the classic cornmeal flavor and texture.
- Ripe Medium Bananas: These bring natural sweetness and moisture to the cornbread.
- Milk: The milk adds creaminess and helps bind the ingredients together.
Pro Tip: Use overripe bananas for maximum sweetness and moisture.
How to make Banana Cornbread:
- Preheat your oven and prepare a baking pan or 2 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, blend jiffy mix, bananas, and milk.
- Pour banana mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center and it is a nice golden brown.
- Cut and serve with a generous slab of butter.
- Since we use a hand mixer to mix the batter, you do not need to use mashed bananas. The mixer will mash them perfectly as you mix it.
- For easy clean up, line your prepared baking dish with parchment paper. Then the cornbread will slide right out of the pan to cool on a wire rack or straight to the cutting board to slice.
Can You Add Nuts to Banana Cornbread?
Yes you can add nuts to cornbread with bananas! If you’re a fan of nuts, add chopped walnuts or pecans. Sprinkle them into the batter and mix in before cooking.
Pro Tip: Try lightly toasting the nuts before mixing them in to bring out the nutty flavor in your banana nut cornbread.
What to Serve with Banana Cornbread:
Banana Cornbread can be served with so many things. Enjoy it for breakfast with a dollop of butter and maple syrup, as a side dish to savory meals, as a snack with a cup of milk, or even as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Recipes to Serve with Cornbread…
- Canned Pumpkin Soup
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Asparagus Vichyssoise
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Cheesy Onion Soup
- Instant Pot Sausage Tortellini Soup
- One Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- Zucchini Chili
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Is Jiffy Banana Cornbread gluten free?
No, Jiffy banana cornbread is not gluten free because the flour mixture in boxed jiffy cornbread mix is not gluten free. If you purchase a boxed gluten free cornbread mix, you can make this dish gluten free.
Is Jiffy Banana Cornbread vegan?
No, Jiffy cornbread with banana is not vegan. Jiffy cornbread mix uses animal fat in the mix, and we add milk to the wet ingredients to mix the bread together.
You would need a boxed cornbread mix that is vegan to make this dish vegan.
Is Banana Cornbread a Breakfast or Side Dish?
Banana corn bread is a breakfast, a side dish, and a snack! Its sweet and savory profile makes it an excellent choice for breakfast alongside your morning coffee. It also shines as a side dish to accompany hearty meals like chili or barbecue.
Can You Freeze Banana Cornbread?
Yes, you can freeze Banana nut Cornbread! After baking, let it cool, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer safe container in the freezer. To enjoy later, simply thaw and eat at room temperature. Or you can reheat it in the oven for warm bread.
Can You Make Banana Cornbread Muffins?
Yes you can make banana cornbread muffins! Turning this recipe into muffins is a family favorite trick.
Just spoon batter into greased mini muffin pans and bake at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. A good muffin is a delightful on-the-go treat, but banana corn muffins are even better!
Additional Cornbread Recipes You’ll Love…
Discover Banana Cornbread: a sweet and savory fusion that’s perfect for breakfast or as a versatile side dish. By using a cornbread mix and a hand mixer, you don’t even have to mix dry ingredients or mash bananas which makes this a great recipe you will use again and again.
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Prepare a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray
- In a bowl with a hand mixer, blend cornbread, bananas and milk.
- Pour batter into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes - until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cornbread.
- Cut and Serve with butter