When you need a hearty, warm, comforting dish, the best chicken noodle soup will hit the spot every time.
Have you ever made your own soup? Homemade chicken noodle soup is so much better than anything you can get straight from a can.
Some people like soup from a store, but I would say this recipe is even better than Panera chicken noodle soup.
The noodles are better. The broth is better. And you can customize it and put in more of your favorite ingredients.
I really think this is the best chicken noodle soup recipe you can find. But that’s because it has my favorite balance of ingredients and spices.
Some recipes are basic broth, chicken, and vegetables. I love adding in a couple extra spices.
Spices are the difference between good soup and soup that is better but you can’t put your finger on why it is exactly better.
Best Chicken Noodle Soup ingredients:
- Olive Oil: this is what you will use to cook the vegetables
- Onion: diced onion (yellow or white) will add flavor to the dish
- Diced Celery: this adds texture and flavor to your soup
- Carrots: this vegetable adds flavor and color to the soup
- Garlic: this adds great taste and nutrients that boost your immunity
- Chicken Broth: you can use chicken or turkey but this is the base of your soup so pick a good one
- Dried Thyme: this is the perfect chicken seasoning you do not want to skip! If you think your soup was missing something before, it was probably thyme
- Bay Leaf: this is another herb that will bring your chicken soup to a new level of flavors
- Salt: depending on how salty your broth is will depend on how much you need to add, but be sure to add some to bring out all the other flavors
- Black Pepper: just a little adds a nice low peppery piece to the soup
- Chicken: chopped or shredded doesn’t matter. This is a great way to use leftover chicken!
- Egg Noodles: these are the perfect chicken noodle soup noodle to use
How to make homemade best chicken noodle soup:
- Cook vegetables until tender.
- Add garlic, then add broth and spices.
- Boil and cook.
- Add chicken and noodles, and boil and cook again.
- Garnish and serve!
How long does it take to make the best chicken noodle soup?
The best thing about my recipe is you can go from nothing to ready to eat homemade chicken noodle soup in just thirty minutes.
I use good broths and extra seasonings to help get those great flavors ready to go faster.
Pro Tip: Make it even faster by chopping all the vegetables and chicken the day before you want to cook it so it is ready to throw together.
It will still take at least 20 minutes to cook, and 10 of those minutes are the noodles cooking.
Is the best chicken noodle soup healthy?
Yes! There is a reason people feed this soup to people who are sick. It has so many ingredients in it that are healthy and that can help improve your immune system.
It really is the best chicken noodle soup you can make.
Is the best chicken noodle soup gluten free?
Not if you use regular egg noodles. Regular egg noodles from the grocery store use egg and flour which has gluten.
To make this gluten free, you need to use a special gluten free noodle. Everything else is gluten free.
Can you freeze the best chicken noodle soup?
Yes! This chicken noodle soup recipe freezes really well.
Let it cool (I like to store it overnight in the fridge to make sure it has chilled all the way). Then put it in freezer safe containers, label, and stick it in the freezer.
When you are ready to reheat it you can let it thaw in the fridge overnight or put the frozen soup in a saucepan with a little extra broth and heat it through.
Pro Tip: when you thaw and reheat the chicken noodle soup, the noodles can get mushy.
If you know you want to make soup to freeze, don’t put the noodles in. Then when you are ready to eat it, heat it up and add the noodles fresh.
Can you use frozen vegetables to make the best chicken noodle soup?
Yes! The nice thing about frozen vegetables is that they are already chopped for you. So you can just open the back and throw them in for a great fresh vegetable flavor.
Some stores even sell “soup starter mix” with carrot, onion, and celery.
The only problem with this starter mix is you can’t control how much of each vegetable you use, and often there is more celery than I would put in separately.
But otherwise frozen vegetables are a great way to make easy chicken noodle soup.
What goes with the best chicken noodle soup?
- Bread: rolls, breadsticks, sourdough bowls, pick your favorite bread to serve next to it.
- Salad: soup and salad are a classic combination so pick your favorite greens and enjoy
- Sandwiches: grilled cheese or paninis are my favorite, but choose your favorite sandwich to eat next to or dip in the broth
Can dogs eat the best chicken noodle soup?
No. Your dog cannot eat this chicken noodle soup since we make it with garlic and onion which is not good for your dog at all.
A dog safe chicken noodle soup recipe is made with chicken, carrots, and water. So if you want to share, make your dog their own dog safe soup.
More Vegetable Recipes You’ll Love…
- Fanned Baked Potatoes
- Broccoli Cashew Recipe
- Old Fashioned Corn Fritters
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Oven Baked Potatoes
- Sweet Jalapeno Cornbread
- Homemade Creamed Corn
- Campbell’s Green Bean Casserole
- Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
Whether you need a hearty warm soup because the weather is freezing outside, you are under the weather, or you just want a classic comfort food, the best chicken noodle soup is sure to hit the spot.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (white or yellow)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 carrots, washed, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 12 ounce egg noodles
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, diced
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent and carrots are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add Chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, allowing flavors to meld.
- Add chicken and egg noodles to soup
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes longer or until noodles are cooked through.
- Serve immediate and garnish with fresh parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1479mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g